The first, lower part of this trail is relatively easy, which brings in crowds exploring the many remaining mine structures. The upper half, to Mary Murphy Mine and Lower Pomeroy Lake, increases significantly in difficulty.
Mary Murphy Mine was a top producing mine that supported the town of Romley. The area flourished between 1870 and the early 1900s. The main part of Romley was located in a meadow below C.R. 295. Romley was also known as “Red Town,” because all buildings in town were painted red with white trim. The railroad removed its tracks in 1926, but it was not until 1982 that the town was torn down by its owners.
From Johnson Village, head south on Hwy. 285 about 6 miles. Just past Nathrop, turn right on C.R. 162. Go west 15.4 miles to parking/staging area (with toilet) on left. Immediately after parking area, bear left on C.R. 295. Go another 2.8 miles. Turn left at sign for Mary Murphy Mine after point where road dips to right to bypass old trestle.